Sunday, July 11, 2010

Update on the Update

So my father is determined to come home tomorrow. We've rearranged some furniture so he can get a hospital bed in the bedroom. I set up Mom's twin bed Friday. My bio-mom was gracious enough to let us borrow one of theirs. It actually was my Uncle Lew's bed when he was younger, which is kind of funny. We'll have to get Lew's picture in it. Anyway, the room is slightly rearranged and the house in disarray because furniture is everywhere because we don't know how big the hospital bed will be yet. Once that's in, then everything can find a home and things won't be as chaotic.

My sister and mother arranged, with Dad's cardiologist, to still be under hospice care, but not as intensely as we previously thought. I walked with my father around his wing of the floor. I never thought I'd see him walk again. My sister warned me that I had to tell him to slow down. He was totally speeding. He was just as happy to be up out of bed as anything. The walkers that the hospital gives make me very nervous. I'm glad my sister has been bringing his along instead of using theirs. I asked my Dad if he wanted to go for a walk and I've not seen him get out of bed so quickly! He was even doing it without his oxygen.

This all sounds great, and we are grateful just to have Dad's attitude back to normal, and count it an added bonus of graciousness from God that he can walk and converse. However, he's on the mend in the hospital. Not to be a downer, just a realist, we'll have to see how he does the next few weeks at home. He gets better and about 3 weeks later starts to go downhill again. That last time was awful. I don't want to experience that again. HOWEVER, I certainly don't want to get blamed again if he falls!! :)

So for the past few days, we've snuck whoopie pies in for him to eat. Actually, it was one big whoopie pie he's been taking portions of for the last few days. He was going to hide it in his bed sheets, but then thought I best put it into the 2nd drawer down in his night stand. He was so funny. I brought it as a "gift" from my mom. My sister said she's more concerned with fluid and a NO SALT diet, then she is about the sugar levels. Especially when he was hooked up to all the IVs. That could be monitored and fixed easier than the fluid levels, etc. And because he wasn't eating anything because he hadn't felt like it and felt just awful, we were willing to give him anything! Well, after he "perked up" and after God miraculously gave us our Dad back from the pit, he was famished. Enter, the whoopie pie covert operation.

Today, however, he's a little nervous about his sugar levels. They've been high (go figure!) and he is nervous that if they're too high they won't let him out of the hospital. Little does he know that because he's coming out under hospice care, we're really only waiting on a hospital bed, which they can put in the works tomorrow. I think he's just going to be happy to be home. It's where he wants to be and it's where he wants to end up, I think. I'll let you know more as it comes, but right now he's just regaining strength that he hasn't had in months. He can get up from a chair by himself! That is a miracle. Today as we were walking he was smiling and just thanking God he could even walk, stand and that his legs worked again. I'm very happy for him.

He has had a lot of time to think in the hospital. He never watches TV there, so he just thinks - which as stated before, doesn't do us a lot of good on the outside if he decides something (hence the attack on the Sunday School system at my church, not entirely unwarranted, but slightly unfounded). Every single time I visit, he tells me about the many blessings he's had through his life. Maybe tomorrow I'll tell you about them. Remind me because I'll forget. They are many, but some are really kind of cool and touch him so deeply. He is thankful for his friends, the wonderful people who have called or visited him either at home or in the hospital. Their church secretary, Lucille has been especially kind. Other ladies (and men) have been so faithful to him. I'm not always told who visits him, but the Lawrences, Mrs. Reiter, Mrs. Hopkins, Mrs. Pradetto among others. I'm not saying he wants a ton of visitors, but he has appreciated those who have been there/called. His family has also been kind. His niece called from Alaska today! He was very excited about that, even if he didn't get to talk to her directly. His nephew has been calling. This particular nephew has a special place in his heart because my father lived with his sister and brother-in-law who were 10 years older than him while attending high school. He was very close to that family. He was very close to most of his siblings, but it's a little hard being 10 out of 11.

Need sleep - have TONS of work to do this week getting ready for the tag sale Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Pray for that too: that it doesn't bother my father if he's home. It shouldn't as we'll be outside and he'll be inside, but I don't want to cause undue stress. I think it will alleviate some as it will clean up the house immensely and then I can tidy up. I KNOW my Mom will be thrilled with that! That, in turn, will make my father happy. I also hope I can get everything done. I'm feeling a little sick. My throat hurts a lot, but I think it's been all the dust I've been inhaling. My house at home is dusty, but old books in the cellar that haven't been touched in years seem to harbor a bit more than I'm used to. I can't talk without it hurting. I took Ibuprofen and now it's starting to feel a little better, so hopefully!! I just don't want to be getting sick and then get Dad sick! That would be awful. But I'm not feverish and it's only the dryness of my throat that's bothering me. Good excuse to suck down some honey! I think I'll go do that right now. Blessings to all!

No comments: