Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dad's Home and Happy to be there





I'm packed and ready to go home. Todd said, "Well, we'll miss the kids..." My brother asked if I was planning on taking the children with me when I left because of how many books I'm taking home. I've also included a picture of the porch which has all the books I'm leaving behind in bags. That way you know I'm not completely insane. They are in my trunk until the Tag Sale is over this weekend. I needed space, and my trunk was empty except for the stroller...which is now buried...



Oh man, I would have HATED to be one of the nurses or aids or whomever was at the hospital today while Dad was waiting to be home. He was so anxious to be out of there, but really, who can blame the guy? He was saying it was every one's fault - the doctor's, the hospice care people, the physical therapist, my mom - anyone he could think of. Last night he said he was going to tell the people that he doesn't have that much longer to live and they just stole a perfectly good day from him. They couldn't discharge him until we had a hospital bed set up. He said he'd sleep on the floor. My sister told him he couldn't say anything and he had to get his temper under control or else his blood pressure would go up and he wouldn't be able to be discharged at all. That just left him sputtering. I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall when she said that!! I'm not saying this because my Dad's a bad guy, he was just so ready to be out of there and to wait for something like a hospital bed seemed stupid to him, but rules are rules. When the bed showed up, my Mom and sister went to get him right away. They told me I could be the bearer of good news to my Dad. I called him and told him that I had made it happen: he was coming home. I emphasized the part where I had made it happen. He laughed. My sister said, "You can be the good daughter by telling him this." Then they forgot his clothes and realized it once they got to the hospital! Hahahahaahahaha!!! My sister had to drive home to get them, so I really DID look like the good one! If I had gone, however, everyone knows I would have forgotten them, please!

So my Father is home and he is so excited! We were all laughing. Mostly at me. And Toddy. We were reliving a story that will go down in infamy for my poor husband. Thankfully he thinks it's really funny too. Why he ever told us this story is a mystery. Should have kept it to himself. Over Easter, we did a lot around the house. You know how it is, you go back and forth to the local hardware store a million times because you've run out of something, or something (for example caulk) is too old...etc. Todd went to purchase said caulk and took my sister's car, a very distinctly colored blue new Corolla. Anyway, we're not in the habit of locking our cars because we just don't. Often the keys will be in the vehicles, but no one in West MI really locks their doors everywhere they go. At least, not like here. As normal, Todd left the keys in the car and had it unlocked as he went into New England Hardware next to Bolton Pharmacy. He came out of the store and realized that the car was locked. He panicked until he saw the sun roof open. So he threw the caulk into the sun roof and then looked around in the car and noticed a half eaten bag of chips, and some other tell tale signs that this car was in fact NOT the one he had just been driving 2 minutes before. However, it had his caulk in its clutches with no graceful way of recovery. To be fair, the car was the EXACT color, make and model as my sister's, and while hers is very pretty, it's a very unique color, so to have one similar at the same place in podunk Bolton Lumber's parking lot is uncanny. Todd did the polite thing and waited around for the owner, but finally resigned to climbing on top of the car, reaching through the sun roof to retrieve his caulk and running to the correct car and not looking back. My family LOVES that story. Now you all can love it too.


Prayer Requests: Dad can still keep his spirits up even if he has to stay in his room for the next few days as the portable air conditioner hasn't arrived yet. Dad can be encouraged through his renewed strength. He doesn't fall - at least not on MY watch. And lastly, that it won't rain for the Tag Sale. THANKS!!!!

No comments: