My Dad grew these flowers, and they're put in a vase my friend, Julie made in high school. I clipped these and put them together for Dad when he got out of the hospital a few weeks ago. He was pleased. Well, we've finally started talking hospice. I am going with my grandfather tomorrow to pick up a twin bed for my mother to sleep in, in the bedroom while my father is in the hospital bed that hospice provides. It has been determined that he is too weak even for therapy. I could get into specifics, but I don't understand them myself, so maybe when my sister gets here tomorrow then I'll be able to put them in lay person's terms.
I will remember this, though: Today, my Dad asked specifically to see me. The head nurse even called the house and told my mom that he was asking for his, "niece, Erica." He has NEVER called me his "niece," before. That sent up a red flag for me, so I went over to the hospital right away getting Dunkin' Donuts along the way. I get there and my Dad is kind of crying. I asked him what was wrong and he wasn't sad, he said. He said, "I just love you so much and wanted to tell you that. I love Todd too." I'm sure at times he likes Todd better than me :) He said that he had been so loved through his life and he seemed like he was just remembering his blessings and I think it was overwhelming for him. But here's the best part: he saw my coffee on his tray and said, "That coffee sure looks good." I said, "Do you want to have a sip?" He said, "I think I would." I said, "Consider yourself among the privileged to get to have a sip of my coffee." He took some huge swigs. This is from a guy who has hardly eaten or drank anything for DAYS! I said, "You take way bigger sips than Lew!" By the time I was ready to go, my coffee was almost half gone. My mom was coming up right after I got home, so I just left the coffee there and she said he almost finished it! It was a large! After every sip I gave him he said, "Oh, that tastes so good." Smart man!! I wished I had a camera! That is how I am choosing to remember my father: we shared a Dunkin' Donuts Large Decaf Iced Coffee with cream and sugar.
1 comment:
Erica, Know that we are praying for you and your family. Wendell has been such a truly model of what a Christian man should be. You have been wonderfully blessed to have him in your life. We will be praying that Norma doesn't get too tired or stressed out so that she doesn't get sick herself. We love you, Erica, you have grown into a wonderful Christian woman!
Love you,
Ruth Wilson
Post a Comment