Thursday, December 17, 2009

Omens From a Dead Fish

So I thought I'd rather forget three days ago when Lew got up at 4:30AM and stayed up because he just wanted to play. I was so tired the next day as was he. We were both in bad moods. BUT yesterday takes the cake.

I should have known when Audrey said to me as she left for school, "Don't forget to feed the fishy!" also known as Parm. I thought, "Ah, stupid fish can wait, but I better do it in case it dies." Well, I went to feed Parm #2 (Parm #1 died while we were in Korea and our neighbor took it upon herself to replace Parm - great), and Parm #2 was on his side stuck under the beads we had at the bottom. It looked like he'd been dead at least a day. I should have known at that moment that the day would be a sour one.

I went to pick up Audrey from school at 11:30 and was taking a left into her school and never saw the car coming at me until it was too late. I noticed it just before it hit me, so I sped up so as to avoid hitting a door and it hit my back passenger side quarter. The wheel bent in. I felt awful. I still cry when I talk about it. It was Lewis' first time in our car. Now the car might be totaled (we'll know today). Everyone is ok and Lew has a doctor's appointment today anyway, so I'll mention it. I felt awful because for the people coming, it was a head on collision, and it was two older ladies and I probably ruined their day if not a long time after. I know I probably scared the wits out of them. I was scared myself. I was so scared because I never even saw them. I remember thinking, "I wish I had prescription sunglasses," and "Oh good, the bus is still here, so I'm not late."

The school called Todd as I was crying too much to do anything. They were so nice. Todd came and stayed until the wrecker came. I was in the back of the police SUV, so I took the kids home to give them a bath (the germs in the back of a police cruiser have always bothered me - not that I've been in the back of one EVER). One of Audrey's friend's mom from school was gracious enough to take us home.

After bath I put a diaper on Lewis and was getting his PJ's because by this time 1:30PM he hadn't slept all day long. He spit up the most he's ever spit up right down my shirt on the inside. Talk about slimy and nasty. I was dry heaving and thinking, "This is way worse than peas, dude." I got myself cleaned up, him cleaned up, and put his PJ's on and put him to bed. He was crying and I couldn't figure out why because he hasn't been to sleep in a long time, but then I remembered that I had forgotten to feed him. So I got him out of bed and told him he didn't win the battle I just forgot to feed him. So I fed him and he went to bed at around 2:30 very contented.

Now, the dead fish could be a bad omen (if I were to believe in omens) or it could be a good one because last night was awesome! Lew got up at 1AM and took his bottle and I cuddled him and put him down, but he wanted to play, so I told Audrey to go into our room and I went into our room and Lew fell asleep on his own!!! Yeah!!!!!!!! THEN, at 6AM I heard, "Umma" which is mom in Korean. It was a very happy sounding word - not cranky or upset word. I looked in on him and he seemed to still be asleep, so I prepared a bottle just in case and then I heard a few babbles - happy babbles! I was like, "Thank you Babywise!!!!" That's the deal with Babywise. You can get your kid to sleep through the night and then when they wake up, they wake up happy. I'm going to start trying it on myself. He slept from 8PM to 6AM with only one wake up, and I didn't have to be that involved!

We are very blessed to be ok after the accident (including the other people in the other car), and I'm blessed with a calm husband (my dad pointed that out). We are also blessed with great in-laws who lent us their car for a little bit. I'm especially grateful because Lew has a doctor's appointment today and I wasn't sure how I was going to get him there. My dad also said that in these times we learn to appreciate each other more, although Todd may not appreciate me at this moment :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back you all! Nice to have you on American soil. By the way is Lew wearing his special out fit for his Baptism? Let us know..love mom and Rick