Saturday, December 5, 2009

Our Trip to Seoul











Genesis 12:1 "Then the LORD told Abram, 'Leave your country...and go to the land that I will show you.'" God told us to go to Korea. So we left at 7:20AM from our house in Jenison, MI and started out on our adventure. We drove to Todd's parents' house as they were bringing us to the airport.

Our flight left for Chicago at 9:30AM. Our next flight left CHicago at 11:20 AM. We arrived at 4:07PMM in Incheon National Airport. in Incheon, Korea.

During the time we were waiting in line to get our tickets in Chicago for Korea, Audrey tried to speak Spanish to everyone. Finally I told her that, "Hello," was "Anyanghaseyo." She said it to the lady behind us who immediately started talking to us in broken English. She was very sweet. As we were talking, Audrey asked, "How come they don't worship God in Korea and they worship statues that aren't real?" There was a lot of silence.

As we were waiting in line, a slew of Korean flight attendants came in the door at the same time. They were beautiful. They were all dressed similarly. It was like something out of a movie. They all had muted teal silk tops with cream colored skirts. Their jackets were all the same color cream that tied around the waist. They either had short hair or hair pulled into a bun with a hair accessory either in the same muted teal or cream. There seriously should have been music.

The plane ride was the quietest plane ride ever. There were no crying babies, but there certainly were children on board. It was the craziest thing! Just wait until the return flight! :) Korean Air is a GREAT airline. Every seat had a new, sanitary pillow, as well as a bagged blanket! It was a germ-freak's dream! I sprayed all of our seats, remotes and TV screens.

At one point, I felt the guy behind me touch my head. I didn't think too much of it because he had gotten up before and accidentally pulled my hair, but he kept touching my head, so I looked up and saw dark hands hanging over the top of my chair! I gasped because it scared me, so I told Todd and of course, he laughed at me. The guy had fallen asleep on the plane and had fallen forward.

Shortly after that we were served a roll. I thought it was a regular roll, I hate biting into something thinking it's one thing, but having it be another thing. It was filled with slimy onions and meat. I think that is what sent my stomach into sick mode. I was fighting motion sickness the whole rest of the way. It turned into 12/4/09 on the plane.

We all managed to get 2 hours of sleep on the plane. That helped us have energy to get to our hotel, the Ramada in Incheon, eat, shower and go to bed.

We have found the Korean people to be extremely helpful - above and beyond. We picked our dinner restaurant because it had the English words, "Good Restaurant," written on the sign. Upon entering, we quickly learned that no one spoke English. The owner called someone and handed me the phone. The person listed what they had, but said that the thing we should order, on account of us having a little one was something that sounded like "Perogi." It was a sweeter beef dish. I figured that Audrey and I could split it. We did, but a TON of other food came with it. It was all really tasty, but we were just so full. I had no idea that we would get so much food.

Back to my point that Koreans are helpful. Our server made sure that Audrey had two pillows under her and scooted her in. She also kept rearranging her plates for ease of access and minimal spill potential. All the while touching her hair and saying how cute she was.

The two ladies were more than gracious. We had our first tastes of kimchi, chusok and grand oyster mushrooms. Also, there was this tasty fish dish. Again, I took a bite expecting one thing (it looked like an egg dish)(, but bit into a different thing (fish). Luckily for me, it tasted good! We also had some sort of pepper dish. It was like they were skinny, semi-fried, whole small green peppers. Again, tasty. I haven't found anything I LOVE by way of food, but I'm willing to try anything. Oh, I should take that back. I really like seaweed soup. It's nice and lite and salty.

When we went to sleep we could hear the night club in the basement. We were on the 11th floor. We were so tired we didn't care. We woke up at midnight feeling quite refreshed (10AM our time), so we all took a sleeping aid and woke up again at 6:30AM.

At breakfast, our waitress was so sweet. She doted on Audrey, stroked her hair, then picked her up (she was heavier than the lady thought) and carried her around to the kitchen so Audrey could see everything. She fixed Audrey's sweater and later brought her hot chocolate. Everyone was so nice, that when we told Audrey that we had to leave to go to Seoul, she cried because "the people are so nice here."

When the taxi came to get us, it was funny because he looked at our suitcases and laughed. I'm used to that but Todd wasn't. He felt sheepish. I felt empowered. He had to rearrange a lot in his trunk in order to fit one suitcase. You're a taxi driver - why is your trunk full to begin with? The other 2 suitcases went in our back seat. When I asked Todd if I could have the front seat, he looked like he might cry. Audrey commented on how squished she was in the back. Yet again, I'm short, so I'm stuck in the back with the luggage. It old Audrey I didn't want to hear it, as that's the story of my life. :)

We reached the subway station with a backpack, computer case and 3 large suitcases. Several men laughed and by their gestures, they indicated that Audrey could fit into one of the suitcases she was carrying (she insisted, so I let her have it. She's built like an ox, so chances are good she could wheel it and she can for short distances). A lady helped us figure out the card system. We went through the gate and she went back for change because apparently Audrey rides for free.

Getting the hang of the turn style things with it locking after each person, yet having a third person with you is hard. I had to jump them once. Another time we got off at the wrong stop and couldn't get out because our cards didn't work. We had to skip out on that one too. Today will be better. Seriously, though, there are a TON of people with masks on. Either not to get H1N1, or not to pass it on to others. It's disconcerting when a guy with a a homemade crocheted mask walks by you and touches the handles of every piece of luggage you won. Yes, I sprayed them all down.

Once off the subway, we headed to our new destination: Best Western. The staff was again, friendly and helpful. But on the way there, about 1/2 mile away, a lady noticed Audrey struggling with her suitcase. We all were as the sidewalks are made of brick and are difficult to maneuver. She of course stroked Audrey's hair, pinched her cheek, took her by the hand, took the suitcase by the other hand and led us to the hotel! What kindness! Can I live here forever?

2 comments:

Cindy said...

so glad you are enjoying Korea. I loved it too. I am so anxious to hear about Lewis! Give Audrey my love.
Cindy

rickster said...

If Todd drove a cab the trunk would be full of junk too!