Monday, June 28, 2010

Fun and Mystery...

We've been having fun here in CT despite the fact that I was inquiring about funeral arrangements and wills last week. I went to RI to the beach with my Aunt and Uncle and Cousin and had a BLAST. Just what the doctor ordered! We spent all day on Saturday on the beach and swam in the cold Atlantic Ocean. I praise God for salt water. LOVE that stuff. Lots of healing potential in it! I got to reconnect with my only 1st cousin and was so fortunate to be able to spend time with her. Audrey and Lew loved it as well. Lew was even following his namesake (Uncle Lew) around - he never does that! Here are some of the lighter things we've been doing:



Auntie Cindy was so smart and got a "slippy slide," as Audrey calls it. Both children LOVE it. I have to send her more photos (remind me of that).



Audrey has successfully learned to climb the trees all by herself. Love the fact that she's in her khaki's, but, she got her babies up in the tree by herself and was having a grand old time. My father and I were just sitting outside in the front just watching her. It was great for us both. That was before he went into the hospital.




Audrey, Christopher and Carlton were pretending to be old. I told them to look as old as they could. Carlton was the "old son," according to him.




Lastly, this was me pre-race over a week ago. I don't have one of me post race (well I do, but I look like heck, so why in the world would I show that one??).

My mother and father have even been having a few laughs while he's in the hospital. Apparently a few days ago my Dad had a roommate that wasn't altogether there. He seemed nice enough and kept referring to great investments. My parents surmised that he had probably been a very intelligent stock broker or something back in the day, but unfortunately, he was struggling. After a bit of time, my father had to use the restroom. They have him on a high dosage of Lasics (a diuretic that I don't know how to spell). It is supposed to get rid of the excess fluid like that fluid around his feet and legs. It has been working, as I stated in my last post. However, the medication makes people have to use the restroom with some frequency. Because my father is hooked up with a bunch of tubes, he can't always use the actual bathroom in his room all of the time. I believe each person on the heart floor is in the same boat. The hospital, therefore, provides urinals for the individuals.
My mother and father searched high and low for his urinal but couldn't find it. It had been there prior to his physical therapy, but they were no longer able to locate it. Nurses don't just take the urinals and not give them back, but that's what my Mom and Dad thought maybe happened, so they asked the nurse for another one. The nurses were even perplexed over this missing urinal.
A while later, after my father acquired a new urinal, my mother stood up to let the nurses in to perform some sort of test. She glanced over because she thought Dad's roommate was talking to her, but then she realized he was talking to himself. But she didn't look away before she noticed that the guy had two urinals. One in his hand doing who knows what with it, and the other by his bedside. My mother cracked the case of the missing urinal. My mother told my father, "I know where your urinal went," as she pointed to his roommate and Dad said, "Well, I guess I don't want it back."

No comments: