Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Parents Getting What They Deserve

Ok, so we've all been told a number of times by our parents, "I hope you get a kid just like you!" Well, I did. I have a strong-willed-child. Now, granted, I've seen worse - I'm pretty sure I WAS worse, but Audrey is quite the "SWC." I have heard that you next kid won't be "as bad," but when you adopt, does that still hold true? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because it's kind of a wild card. Anyway, I'll be prepared, because I was reading a book the other day that was supposed to help me figure out my SWC. It's by Cynthia Ulrich Tobias. She's an ex-cop, which intrigued me. Anyway, she had a quiz in there to determine if you/your child is strong willed. I took the test and was completely blown away. I always knew I was strong willed, but I never knew how badly. Apparently, I don't leave home without it. Here's the quiz so you all can maybe have similar revelations (about yourself, not about me). I got it from Family Life Today if you're interested (see the link to the side):

Just add up how many of these statements are true for you:

  • When told to give up because it's impossible, I'm willing to move heaven and earth to prove you wrong.
  • I can move with lightening speed from being a warm, loving presence to being a cold, immovable force.
  • I may argue the point into the ground, sometimes just to see how far into the ground the point will go.
  • When given the ultimatum "Do it or else," I will often just "else."
  • I consider rules to be guidelines. (I'm abiding by the spirit of the law; why are you being so picky?)
  • I can show great creativity and resourcefulness; I always seem to find a way to accomplish the goal.
  • I can turn what seems to be the smallest issue into a grand crusade or a raging controversy.
  • I don't do things just because "you're suppose to"; it needs to matter to me personally. (I need to be inspired.)
  • I usually refuse to obey unconditionally; I almost always have a few terms of
    negotiation before complying.
  • I'm not afraid to try the unknown, to conquer the unfamiliar (but I'll choose my own risks.)
  • I've been told I can take what was meant to be the simplest request and interpret it as an offensive ultimatum.
  • I may not say the exact words to apologize, but I do make things right.


Your Score: How Much Strong Will Do You Have?
0 – 3 You've got it, but you don't use it much.
4 – 7 You use it when you need to, but not on a daily basis.
8 – 10 You've got a good strong dose of it, but you can back off when you want to.
11-12 You don't leave home without it, and it's almost impossible not to use it.


There better not be any comments after this!

No comments: