Here is the latest on the Korean adoption front. It's set back for 1 or 2 months right now. Here is the email explanation I got yesterday from my case worker, who had received it from a different person. Apparently the director from Bethany is in Korea now trying to smooth things over:
I know I gave a preliminary date of April 1 to start with new quota families. But, we are going to delay that a month or two at this time. I know that is not a popular decision, but it is a step to keep our waiting times in check, and not remain at the current 18 month wait time. We still have two 2006 families who are waiting for referrals.
As you may have noticed, we have not received many referrals yet this year. This is not unique to Bethany or Holt Korea agencies, yet we have not heard reasoning or rationale behind this. I continue to explore this with DJ, please thank your families for their continued patience and support.
Unrelated to our intake or lower than usual referral numbers, is a case in Iowa where an adoptive parent murdered his family and all four children were Korean adoptees. As with past stories involving adoptees, the support of international adoption in Korea certainly waivers when news like this breaks. Also, there is a Korean adoptee community in Korea that is very anti-adoption that likes to "stir the pot", and this has again fueled their fight. As collective Korean agencies (both Holt Korea and the others) we are looking for ways to counteract this negative view. Any ideas you have would be appreciated, and we may be calling upon you all for future assistance in contacting some of your older Korean adoptees. Thank you for your thoughtfulness as we continue to through these bumps in the road for the children.
Bill Blacquiere is visiting Korea this week and the JCICS conference is next week, where the Korea Caucus will be meeting. I look for insight both from Bill's visit and other Korea agencies, and will share more later in April. All the best, and keep praying for the kids waiting for their forever families!
While Todd and I aren't in any huge rush, there are some families who desperately want a child and are waiting anxiously. We'll probably feel that way in a few months, but since it's early on for us, it's not as "real" yet, if that makes sense.
PLEASE PRAY FOR THINGS TO SMOOTH OVER QUICKLY.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment